Thursday, April 22, 2010

i found this old poem many years ago when my older children were small. i loved it- still do- and given my background of old english style literature, the ancient words thrill me. i continue to pray today for all my children, especially my little emma, and my grandchildren, that they will be guarded by the ONE who shed His blood for all of us. Therein is our safety!

BENEATH THE BLOOD STAINED LINTEL

Beneath the blood-stained lintel, I with my children stand;
A messenger of evil is passing through the land.
There is no other refuge from the destroyer’s face,
Beneath the blood-stained lintel, shall be our hiding place.

The Lamb of God has suffered, our sins and griefs He bore;
By faith the blood is sprinkled above our dwelling’s door.
The foe who seeks to enter will fear that sacred sign;
Tonight the blood-stained lintel shall shelter me and mine.

My Savior, for my dear ones, I claim Thy promise true.
The Lamb is for the household- the children’s Savior too.
Oh Thou who gave them, guard them- those wayward little feet,
The wilderness before them, the ills of life to meet.

My mother-love is helpless; I trust them to Thy care!
Beneath the blood-stained lintel, oh keep us ever there!
The faith I rest upon Thee, Thou wilt not disappoint;
With Wisdom, Lord, to train them, my shrinking heart anoint.

Without my children, Father, I cannot see Thy face;
I plead the blood-stained lintel, Thy covenant of grace.
Oh Wonderful Redeemer, Who suffered for our sake,
When o’er the guilty nations the judgment storm shall break,
With joy from that safe shelter may we then meet Thine eye,
Beneath the blood-stained lintel, my children, Lord, and I.

No comments: