Friday, October 9, 2009

rubies...

it's our 40th year of marriage. our ruby year.

he went to nepal, and i asked him to bring me a ruby.

i was thinking- just a stone, or a pendant, or something little...(i do have an agatha christie fountain pen with the snake with the ruby eyes and it is one of my most treasured possessions)

he came back with a tiny box. gave it to me with a shy, excited grin.

inside, a stunning ruby ring, surrounded by diamonds.

my heart leaped...i felt like i'd just gotten engaged again. what is it about rings and diamonds and a girl's heart? (i may be almost 60, but inside, i'm 16.)

my sweetheart. the love of my life. he brought me a ruby ring.

my finger feels heavy with the power of this lovely emblem of our enduring union. flanked top and bottom by my two eternity rings, one diamond and one ruby...

i love it. i love him. i love being married. i love that we have survived this long, through good years, bad years, very bad years, and we have hung on. there is something to be said for staying together.

my ruby ring says it all.

No comments: